Everyone finds a quiz interesting and informative, so here’s one you can use to evaluate the present state of your website’s content. Take a minute or two to run through the questions below and see how your site stacks up…
CHECKLIST – Each question is worth 1 point. Give yourself 1 point for every question that you can honestly answer “yes” to. Scoring guidelines are at the end of the quiz.
Website Content Focus 1: Keywords (3)
- Have I properly researched the keyword phrases I want to rank for – or am I just guessing?
- Just how easy will it be to rank for those keywords?
- New sites – go for KW with low amount of competition
- A decent amount of search volume for that KW phrase
- Is the content reflective of the probable intent of the buyer if they use those search terms?(i.e., if they are looking to research a topic, or comparison shopping, or ready to buy, does this page of content match the stage they are at in their buying journey?)
Website Content Focus 2: Headlines (4)
- Is the main target KW in the main headline?
- Is the most important information in the headline towards the beginning? (In case the headline is cut off)?
- Is the headline wording enough to create enough interest and/or intrigue that will capture attention and lure in the reader?
- Do you make use of subheadings after every 1-3 paragraphs?
Website Content Focus 3: Page Content and Layout (18)
- Is your content written naturally?
- Have you over-used your target keywords?
- Are you saying anything new – or just rehashing what others have said?
- Is your content wording 100% unique text?
- Have you used the active voice in your writing?
- Is your page content at least 1,200 words, perhaps even 2,000-2,500 if you want to rank as an authority on that subject?
- Have you framed important questions in your content — and then answered those questions?
- Have you broken up large blocks of text?
- Is your content free from grammar and spelling mistakes?
- Have you stayed away from unnecessary technical terms and jargon?
- Does your webpage use a comfortable font style and size?
- Are ads running on your page at a minimum?
- Is the content “above-the-fold”?
- Have you linked OUT to authority websites, from within your page content?
- Have you used — effectively — images and videos within your content?
- For your images and other visuals, have you optimized the alt text, titles and captions?
- Are images optimized to minimize image file size, so as to speed up page load times?
- Have you linked WITHIN to other important pages inside your website (key landing pages, product or service category pages) where you are trying to send traffic?
Website Content Focus 4: Page Title Tags Meta Descriptions (5)
- Is your page meta description interesting, and eye-catching – to attract a click when it shows up on search results pages?
- Is the meta description unique to each page?
- Do your title tags also effectively encapsulate your page theme?
- Are the titles properly optimized for length, and not duplicate with other pages?
- Is your primary page keyword included in your page title?
Scoring and Results
How did your content rate overall?
Here are some guidelines:
28 or higher: Congrats! Your content rates very high against the competition. Try to get a 30!
25-27: Nice Job! You have a few things to address, but you’ve done a good job so far.
22-24: Passable – but it could be better. Where do you need to make changes?
21 or lower: Oh-Oh… There’s definitely room for improvement here. This needs immediate attention.